Monday, November 29, 2010

To-Do List: The Bathroom

My initial explanation of my renovation plans was a bit short-sighted. A hundred dollars doesn't get you that far and certainly comes nowhere near replacing the lovely pink fixtures we have in our bathroom. So I suppose a more accurate explanation is that I plan on doing as much to a room as I can for under $100.00, and then doing the normal person thing and saving up for the rest.

I think we've already established that my $100.00 bathroom makeover wasn't anywhere near the most impressive thing in blogland. Um, the biggest change came from a $27.00 can of paint. Ditz. You'll notice that most of the following To-Do List would have been done by now if I'd been a little smarter about budgeting. Live. And learn.

So as far as the actual bathroom goes, I'd sort of love to separate things into a double vanity etc, but I can't figure out if that would be too "Master Bath"-y. Oh, I forgot to mention--this is our giant main bathroom that would be the one guests use as well. The other bathroom is really just a shower with a sink and a toilet inside. Just wait, I'm not kidding. But I'm too scared to make the investment and take the plunge on that right now--although I'd take any input on having double sinks/mirrors/vanities in such a central bath!

Here's the To-Do List without the double vanity conundrum. The green bits are ways I am going to do this without breaking my budget rules as hard-core as I could be.

1. Frame Out the Mirror. I think think think that I am going to have enough trim left over from the laundry room to do this! Wahoo! And all because I had to change up a really silly plan I had from my laundry room cabinets. See? Nothing ever goes "totally" wrong this early into a renovation. Technically this will be free if I can do it! But just for you guys, I'll estimate out what it costs if I get 'er done.

2. Replace the Lights. To be honest, I have no idea if I want to do this or not. Some days I love em, some days I think they're severely outdated. And the third one always throws me off. So this will definitely wait until I have a concrete plan or see something amazing that I HAVE to put in there. And then I'll try and do it for a teensy fraction of the cost! Waiting until you know what you want for-ev-er is KEY to saving money when you renovate. You don't want to just throw something up there and then buy another set of lights three months later. Trust me!

3. Speaking of lights, Remove the Heat Lamp. There's one in the shower that I don't think you quite see in the pictures (it's flush with our AWESOME ceiling rafters). It gets super hot and makes everything red when you turn it on. Ick. I'll probably do this as soon as I find a can light on clearance someplace.

4. Countertop. Once upon a time I was clicking through pictures on HGTV and saw this countertop that I think was slate, but it had a very natural wavy texture to it that I LOVED. Now I can't find that picture, of course. I just expect it to be expensive, and of course want to decide how many sinks and vanities before I splurge. If I get around to it sooner than I want to spend the money, I'm just going to try painting it to look like a dark grey or black granite.

5. Fixtures. They're pink, and I'm definitely in the market for a new toilet and sink. Perusing the hardware store rejects is my ritual when I go into town now. Because honestly, I will fix a darn chip or three if that sucker is white. :)

6. Tub/Surround. Instead of getting a new tub or Re-Bathing ours, I think I'm just going to tile up the from and top of the tub, as well as up the walls after I tear down the puke yellow marble swirl surround that is in there now. This is where the clearance section comes in handy--you can almost always find tile there (especially at Menards, where they clearance out some pretty nice stuff!), and the best part is that even if it's plain white it will be the perfect upgrade!

7. Almost forgot--I need towel rings! I just ooh'd and aah'd at a few over on Decor Steals but opted against it when I found out they were only a foot wide. Totally not enough for my big wall where they're going. I might take a page out of Shelley @ House of Smith's book and try out her wall treatment, I'm just afraid it won't be "adult" enough for us.

P.S. Keep your fingers crossed...hoping to link up to Kate's Christmas Craft party by Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment